View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Airhoss
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
ERAU has a mixed reputation...their enginering is supposed to be pretty decent, but flight ops gets a bad rap due to high prices and the rich-kid attitudes of some graduates.

If you look at simple statistics, a masters will improve your odds of getting a major airline job. However...
Rick,

Not trying to be confrontational here at all. I have a couple of questions. With whom that matters does ERAU have a mixed reputation?

It is sure as heck not with any Major airline. I've worked for two majors and both had boat loads of ERAU grads. Including many of the military guys being ERAU grads. An aviation degree from ERAU, SIU, UND, Perdue or wherever shows a strong dedication to the career field and it always looks good on an airline application. One is not better than the other as where you got your initial flight training does not really mean squat after 8 years of military flying or 5,000 hours of civilian flying about the time you become competitive for a major airline job.

Where can I find statistics that show a masters degree will improve your odds of getting a major airline job? I've never seen that before nor do I find it to be the case with the vast majority of major airline pilots. Only a very small percentage have masters degrees.