View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 10:09 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Same Boat

Originally Posted by proskuneho View Post
For example? What if you had 940 tt, 185 multi, zero 121 experience, a four year degree, ten years of management experience (5 years managing at a national flight school), an MBA in progress, a wife, 2 kids under 5 years old, and a serious case of the flying bug?
I was in nearly the exact same boat. I was 36 years old with a wife 2 kids and one on the way when I was laid off from my 757 gig. It became obvious that my aviation path was leading into mediocrity. I suppose that most minor league baseball players reach a point when they know that the big time is not in the cards for them. They can either continue to play for the minors or try to find their place in the sun somewhere else.

After a year of searching for another flying job while building houses and investing in real estate it became obvious that I had found a much easier life. I made more money and had control over my life again. My wife and kids were happier and more secure. So I turned my back on my dead end dream and kept working my business. Today our lives are hugely better and most of the airlines that I was applying to are gone now.

Today I get calls from my buddy's who are still in aviation asking for tips on how they can get out too. I own a Cessna 150 and hugely enjoy flying it. Perhaps one day after my kids are older I might try to return however with time I am finding new things to enjoy and new ways to satisfy my aviation bug.

Skyhigh