View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 10:27 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Future

Originally Posted by proskuneho View Post
So the question remains - how can such a person afford to do what he loves? Would I be better off going down the 135 or corporate road? I'll probably have 135 PIC mins in just a couple of months. Then I might be eligible for a 135 or corporate FO. If I did that for 5-10 years, would I be able to go to a major without going to a regional first?
It is difficult to tell what opportunities you might find in the future. A better question might be if you would even want a job at a major airline in 10 years.

My prediction is that wages at the majors will keep sliding down to a point where it will not seem palatable after so much effort. Especially with an MBA under your belt. Would you really want to start over in your mid-40's as a new hire at the majors? Low wages, furlough risk, loss of control over your life. You have a family to think about.

I have known it to be true that if someone has a strong alternative to aviation then sooner or later the hardships will insure that they will take it. Seems to me that you have family responsibilities and a pathway to better life already underway.

Skyhigh