Thread: 7/7 Free Time
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 07:47 AM
dudemize
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: ANG

Originally Posted by mcartier713 View Post
which schedules lead better family/home lives? ... 7/7 is obviously a little more predictable, but you're home less.
For me, I prefer the 7/7 far more than the typical airline schedule. I was at JetBlue and while the days off were about the same as NJA, it just seemed like I was never able to establish a routine at home. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of 7 day trips, but having 7 off is awesome. It really gives me tons of quality time with the family. My wife is a creature of habit and routine and she absolutely loves having long range planning ability again.

For example I already know I have Thanksgiving and Christmas off this year. I even got vacation in December so I have almost the whole month off. I can assure you if I was still at JB I would be working both of those holidays.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you are a commuter. Airline schedules can be very good if you live in base (I didn't at JB). Personally I'll take 7/7 with no commuting any day. I can tell you that being able to live anywhere you like (pretty much) is AWESOME! It's worth an extra night or two in a hotel for me.