View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 11:18 AM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

For what it's worth, I would agree that doing the non-aviation degree and FBO thing is probably better in the long run from a cost point of view. I do think that an aviation degree can open doors that might not otherwise be available, but it's not a certainty. Uncle Bose is right in saying that there are just as many people out there that didn't attend an aviation university and work in this industry. (However I am curious to know out of that number how many had prior military experience as opposed to the mom and pop FBO background.)

What an aviation degree is going to get you over the long term is a bit more knowledge in advanced topics such as safety studies, aircraft systems and aeordynamics. As well as a typically more structured training environment from most FBOs (even local 141 schools). This can be an advantage when going through your first airline training event.

Over the short term the only thing that an aviation degree will get you is a higher probability of landing your first job with less experience/flight time than somebody from a local FBO. In a seniority based system, that MAY make a big difference.

On the other hand, you could end up like me... a career FO with the airlines and 4000 SIC Turbine and only 600 PIC when I finally left the airlines.

Last edited by FlyerJosh; 07-22-2006 at 11:23 AM.