View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 09:00 PM
CaptainCarl
I'm a man of my word.

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Devil's Advocate
Default Telex 850

I've got the Telex 850s and they are really nice, assuming you are flying something other than an ERJ (or equivalent) or GA aircraft, which it just so happens, that's all I fly

I still have to wear earplugs underneath the 850s because the ANR doesn't really do much when it comes to 450 knots true. Same goes for GA aircraft, with that big fan upfront blowing 100 knots of air over the windshield, the ANR just can't cut it out.

Now, on the positive side: It is not a clamp. Its a big improvement from my old Telex which is old enough to almost be my father. Its also a bit easier on the noggin' than the Bose headset, which I had for a six month trial. Cool headset (the Bose) but still a bit heavy and clampy. The 850 is lightweight, fits in my flight kit discreetly (leaving room for GOM revision after GOM revision ), and since the top part which rests on top of your head is so skinny, you can just reposition the skinny little thing forward or back for instant relief.

In my opinion, I would still with a comfy pair of Clarks or the Bose headset and just keep buying the batteries. But now that I think about it, earplugs are free and the 850 is pretty light. Well, to each his own I suppose. As for the Clarity Alofts, I have no idea.

Oh, I did want to add one other thing: I see a lot of guys who fly 320s and 73s and up with those tiny little headsets, the ones that just hang in one ear and with the tiny little mic. I suspect that once you make it that far in your career, you won't have a need for something like a Telex 850. I know as soon as I get into something quieter, I am ditching any "rest on my skull" headset.