View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Learflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Proskuneho -

I'm the last person to ask. I have plan fraught with peril and no backup. I'm charging full steam ahead into the same uncertain world that you are debating joining.
I know this - I was one of those that said that I wanted to fly since I was very young. I thought military - and when that didn't work out I thought civilian (hence my getting 300 hrs of flight GA flight time and my rating except any kind of instructor (I wasn't ready for that)) - and then back in the military route again. I have that military background to fall back on and headhunters love my type - for all kinds of jobs; unfortunately that I have NO interest in them. When I hopefully switch careers I will take a huge paycut and I do it knowing what I am getting myself into. When I was showing my mother those pay scales tonight she asked the same question you see on here - why? I told her that it was the same reason that I gave her when I told her nearly 20 years ago that I was joining the Marines. She nodded her head and wished me luck.

What would I do in your situation? I would apply the Operational Risk Management (ORM) to my life just I teach all those eager 20 something year olds in a new class. I would say that you need to weigh the risks against the benefits and make the decision that you can live with for the rest of your life.

Can you make it? Maybe. Would you enjoy it? Most likely. Do you have the support of your family? Knowledge is key. This last one is much like the military lifestyle. In that I mean when young men/women are talking about joining the military and they have a young wife/husband at home - maybe a child - and then he/she is told that he/she is going away on a 7 month IA to Iraq and the wife/husband says "what do you mean you have to go away?" I ask them - what did you think could happen when your husband/wife joined? Your family needs to know what is possibly in store. For your career ambitions it could be the time away fom home and the pay. They certainly deserve a say in THEIR future.

What am I doing? Like I said - in 1 yr and 2 months I'm walking out the door and hoping for good fortune on my door step. I'm taking that chance because that is what I want and I've always known it.

One piece of advice that I do like on this forum is the one that says - if you are already entrenched in a good paying job with benefits and a future - why can't you fly for pleasure and not try to change careers so late in the game? Very valid point.....but not for me. Is it something for you to consider?

USMCFLYR

PS. After typing this I realized that I could probably get a job as team leader on my nephew's turf laying squad.

you'll get there. Make alot of friends on your journey, and keep in touch with them all! I got my original frac job by knowing someone, was offered but turned down several others from friends of mine. Something 350.com or others can't attest to. Got my NJA interview from two friends. Hopefully they'll help me out on the next one.