Thread: Starting at 40
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by pompeync View Post
I try to be realistic and realize I will never be flying 747's on Pacific routes or 777's on trans-Atlantic crossings, but If I could get back to what I am making in my IT job, but flying, then I would be "living the dream". In short my goal would be a regional captain, I am a duel citizen US/UK so I have the European option, not sure that the Euro market is any better than over there. I am training for my private license at this time. If I did the instructing route, I would keep my "day job" and teach just for the love of flying.
This is what I do, and it is perfectly satisfying. I get to fly when I want to, as long as I want more or less, do not have to pay for anything, do not have a dependent relationship to the income and have lots of fun. I do not get to brag about flying jets or having seen the country, but I think I do pretty well considering the cost of that. And I will never make big bucks at the majors either but hey if it was about money I would have gone into real estate. Keep your job. You have a bright future in general aviation and if the regionals ever recover you will be ready for them.