Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 PM
TankerBob
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: KC-135T

I am not a technician, but I in the guard. As a technincian you are the full time person that keeps the day to day stuff happening. So you arn't a second class citizen. If you join the guard as a traditional you only get paid when you are doing something. As far as flying goes, all of our technician pilots/booms fly as much as everyone else.

The competitiveness is where your problem is going lie. It is extremely competitive to get a full time job in the guard. right now the only full time position that I have heard of are at UAV bases and the are AGR positions and up in Alaska. And I am pretty sure that every unit will hire within. so you are probably going to have to join the unit first and guard bum for awhile so we know that you arnt a dirtbag. No offense to what you may have done, but we what to know what you are like first.

Every unit is different, so really your best bet is to find some guard and reserve units that you would like to go to and talk to them. They would have the real answers you are looking for. Good luck to you man, we have a F-18 guy that flys with us so I know it can be done.