Thread: Starting at 40
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 07:52 PM
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Student Pilot

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I made a similar decision prior to 2001...it was possible to justify it economically because of the higher pay scales at the major airlines.

All but three majors have had their pay, benefits, and QOL cut significantly (like 50%)...of course those three are the hardest to get hired at.

At age 40, that realistically leaves you regional airlines or corporate aviation as a career path.

Regionals are experiencing stagnant growth and some furloughs. No real adult could possibly live on regional FO pay for long, so you need to plan on a captain upgrade...historically 2-4 years is a good average, but right now it could be longer. Also the regionals with the best employment and upgrade opportunities are usually the worst companies to work for...you would not believe how poorly you will be treated until you experience it.

Corporate is a possibility, you can find liveable wages and working conditions at some jobs, but the pay and QOL range varies wildly. Some corporate pilots are on call 24/7...don't ever touch a beer, and don't go out of town. Corporate is ALL about who you know...agressive networking will be a required way of life to get into and thrive in that business. You will have to make your own opportunities at every turn.

At your age, assuming you have a family, I would not even consider it unless the house is paid for, the retirement account is fully funded, and you can pay for training and still have a survival fund to bridge the years of low pay until you can upgrade to CA.

pompeync:

You can't get it any better than that. He tells it like it "i"......."s".....is!!!

I'm 46, but I look like I'm in my early to mid 30's. I'm in good shape and my health is excellent.

I've decided to do exactly what rickair7777 has advised. I have my eyes trained on becoming either a regional captain then hopefully an IP for that airline or I plan on flying corporate. I do know that with corporate, if you're not a people person, you may have problems. Moderate customer contact...just depends upon who you fly for.

All the best my friend.

Blue skies.

atp