View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 11:39 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

I just stumbled across this thread and learned for the first time of Tony's dismissal. I want to comment on a few things, but I must preface my comments with this. Although Tony and I have had a great number of discussions, and have agreed on very few principles, I would never have wished ill will on him, and am sorry that he was fired. I gave up days off to jumpseat across the country to talk with Skywest pilots, I took time off from a vacation weekend in Denver to encourage Skywest pilots, and I spent plenty of time here pleading with them to protect their careers. Still, I take no pleasure in saying "I told you so." -- please do not misinterpret my remarks as such. I'm sorry that Tony was fired.

Originally Posted by TonyWilliams View Post

... whatever labor representation that we (ok, them!) have, if the collective bargaining labor contract says you're canned after failing an upgrade training event, guess what? You're still canned.

What I hope everyone will recognize is that SAPA is not "labor representation." An in-house group of pilots does not have the authority to negotiate a contract or represent the pilots. That authority is only given by the National Mediation Board (NMB) to those unions that have been certified to represent the Class and Craft at that airline. ALPA petitioned the NMB to have that authority, and the pilots voted against it. What they have is a committee with no teeth.

I think SkyWest needs a union.

With almost 3000 pilots, there is no reason that an in house union like SWAPA, APA, or USAPA (ok, maybe not the best example) couldn't flourish.

A subtle, but very important nuance lies here. SWAPA, APA, and USAPA are INDEPENDENT unions, certified by the NMB to be the sole Collective Bargaining Agent for their respective pilot groups. They negotiate Collective Bargaining Agreements, and they represent pilots in matters concerning the employer. "In-house" organizations, such as the Flight Advisory Board (FAB) at FedEx before it was organized, or SAPA at Skywest do not negotiate contracts, and they have no legal standing to represent pilots in matters dealing with the company.

But, again, a union or no union doesn't by itself change any policy.

The union enforces the contract, and it defends the pilot. Were you to be fired by Skywest for failing an upgrade with ALPA as the Collective Bargaining Agent, ALPA would be fighting for your job back.

I really liked working for SkyWest, and I think I did my job well.

But, I will say that I felt pretty d*mn stupid for some of my cheer leading for this company.

I honestly thought that I would be trained to succeed; taken care of, like you would a family member.

... at SkW, it truly is a business... a really BIG business.

I felt stupid for the times I volunteered ...

I felt REALLY stupid when I got the bill for my hotel in SLC ...

I felt stupid that I got no per diem while at training, ...

I felt stupid that I put myself in a situation ...

I felt stupid that I didn't get my ATP ...

I felt stupid that I handed out buddy passes to my brother ... "... no good"

I feel stupid every time I get to crawl on a SkyWest flight to travel...

I feel stupid that I can't jumpseat ...

I feel stupid that I couldn't get an interview ...

I feel stupid, and guilty, that for me to continue in this business means that my 6 and 8 year old kids will not see me much.
That sounds like a testimonial if I've ever heard one. What folks need to glean from this is that loyalty is a one-way street in companies like this. You can dedicate your life and your livelihood to them, but you shouldn't rely on them to return the favor. You don't always get what you deserve -- you get what you negotiate. Tony, and every other pilot at Skywest deserved far better than what he got.

I just had a chat with my favorite attorney this evening.

I wish you were working with the ones I know. They're tenacious, and they've got a good track record.

Best Regards

Last edited by TonyC; 10-26-2008 at 12:11 AM. Reason: remove an extra "e" :(