Old 10-27-2008, 01:37 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by JustUnderPar View Post
I agree with you.

But..regarding this last part. The people that will be furloughed are not the people, like yourself, that has been here for 10+ years making good money. If you look at the 'new hire' page you will see that most have come from all walks of life. Everyone has not been as fortune as you and not able to "plan their financial life accordingly" coming off probation.

It will be especially hard for those that put their trust in the company and union by taking a move to ANC. If a furlough happens I guess we can get in line for a job as a policeman. Then we can keep F-street clear of thugs for everyone
Understand, planning started long before I arrived here. Left the military during a period of furloughs at the majors, no hiring (even at most commuters) and took a 75% pay cut the first year (and a 55% the second). I went to a commuter that paid 13K per year and was in bankruptcy. (1993 to 1996). Did 3 years and my high end was just under 16K my third full year. Came to UPS and doubled my airline pay as a probationary crewmember. While at the commuter I purchased a modest home for my family and put 20% down. My planning started in the years (yes years) prior to leaving active service. I drive older cars, have an F/O house, no toys. The original wife <g> with no modifications and am very content. Know all cannot do so, but most of us can.
Absolutely agree with Sideshow that your IPA would pick up the medical coverage of any crews furloughed. Also, have stated, that you would likely be amazed at the unity demonstrated by the IPA should armageddon happen. We have done this several times amidst family squabbles before. (1988, teamsters strike, announced furlough of the 100 and then made whole our deceased IPA who died during negotiations, we also contributed significantly to one of our IPA probationary crewmembers struck with cancer) Many, many generous souls among us who will contribute to minimize your concerns. OT and JA are just part of the mix.
BTW, Sideshow and I witnessed this leadership from from the largely over 60 crowd