View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Good

Originally Posted by flynavyj
sorry to hear, sounds like a rough time, and maybe just a bad turn of luck (timing, etc). I take what i can from everyone, do live in the "show-me" state, but, if i can, i'll avoid being shown on this one. For anyone else that happens to look @ this, remember that your aviation degree can be put to other uses, not necessarily just flying. These uses are normally in the industry however, and depending on your background, there are many more "steady" jobs out there, still related to aviation, but away from airlines or even flying.

If ya wanted to hear my original desire, it was to fly w/ the military, that moved away slowly, airlines seemed like a better deal...wasn't hoping to get "rich", however was still hoping to make a living. Like the rest of the naieve, i still believe i'll be able to do so. For the typical guys who are fresh outta college, the thought of making 25,000 a year doesn't seem that daunting, reason is we're normally making 8k a year and still "somehow" ifnding a way to survive. As a CFI, i'm only getting 10.50/hr, if i was on salary at the wage, i could survive a lot better, w/o salary, it's a struggle, but do-able, thusfar all my buddies who've gone regionals aren't rich, but...they can still afford to buy us all drinks on the weekends, and...for the time being, that'll suffice.
I was at a party last spring for a few new college graduates. Two were construction management one accountant and one art major. Of the construction management guys one was starting at 52K and the other at 64K. The accountant had a job that was going to pay him 54K until he passed the CPA exam then some kind of raise. You can guess what the Art major had. Not nearly as good but far better than had there been any people there from flight tech. All the sacrifice and beer drinking will stay fun for another year or two more then it starts to get old. Ten years from now it will be really old. A solid back up plan is nice to have in case one day you decide that you have had enough.

SkyHigh