View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 11:34 AM
flyingsailor
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Office Desk Captain
Default Advice for CFI initial

Hello,

Been browsing these forums for a while and thought I’d seek out some advice. I just recently earned my Commercial ASEL and am finishing up my multi add-on. I’m looking for some advice on the best way to obtain my CFI. I’m currently using VA benefits and wish to remain in a 141/VA scenario (for obvious cost benefits).

Right now I’m thinking of continuing in the twin for my MEI as my initial CFI (considering I would have just took the check-ride, and just need to build the PIC time and learn to fly the same check-ride from the other seat). I understand the added FOI and teaching aspect of the CFI ride, but from a practical standpoint, the MEI seems more logical as my initial first.

After that, my CFII (I’m more of an IFR oriented pilot and am quite proficient) with a single-engine add-on. Once I have all three, then look to start teaching part time (I’m in a successful engineering career right now) to build hours and have fun (I actually enjoy teaching). Long term, I don’t know, may just “retire” and teach, or look for a regional/corporate job, but that is years away and lots can happen in the industry.

Does the MEI as my initial sound logical given my situation? Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by flyingsailor; 10-29-2008 at 06:24 AM.