View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by tsquare View Post
Then why aren't we ordered by age?

Retirements might be considered by arbitrators... they may very will be, but hopefully not that mythical 62.4 years your lawyer came up with.
If you guys listen to one thing, you should listen to this point: 62.4 years is a statistically accurate determination of the average age that a pilot will separate from service. Whether by the pilot's choice or nature's choice, you are statistically gone by age 62.4. But let's not quibble about 2.6 years. Just add 2.6 years to the fences, and DAL pilots are even more protected against NWA using their seniority. When you run our proposal forward in one year increments, there are no spots where one color rules the roost except for the first 2 years. After that, there is a clear balance of DAL/NWA guys throughout the list in its entirety.

Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
Unless you are willing to sign your retirement paperwork right now stating that you are gone in another 12 years... 62.4 is meaningless. 65 is the only number that is concrete and is (hopefully) considered.
I'd sign them right now. With regard to 65 being the only concrete number, see above.

Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
Must be nice to be you though... 13 more years as a whale captain... if they are around that long. But damn... you might have to stoop to a 777. I'm guessing your career has sucked so far hasn't it?
There's no way I could go 13 more years, my health won't hold out. And no, my career hasn't sucked. DAL is my fourth airline and I've been furloughed 5 times, but it's been a worthwhile journey.

Carl