View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 04:30 PM
jungle
With The Resistance

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat

I found out what it’s really like to work on the flight deck after watching cockpit videos. I was bored out of my mind watching them. Sure the view was great at times, but most of the work seemed so boring to me, and they do this many hours each day for several days at a time! After 1 hour I was bored to death. No wonder I’m reading about BA captains who can’t wait to retire and who say “airlines are not the be all end all”. I used to be baffled by this. And thinking about it, although I’m always excited to get to the airport and see planes, love air shows, enjoy the take-off part, but other than that I’m always kinda bored during a flight. It was the same boredom when watching these videos.
dd89

Interesting first post. It just may be possible that you didn't really experience being an airline pilot by watching a few videos any more than you would experience combat by watching Black Hawk Down.
It isn't for everyone, it isn't exciting most of the time and it is a very difficult path-much like aeronautical engineering. Stick with the engineering, it will be rewarding and you can always change your mind after you get a degree. If you want some real aerial excitement go fly fighters-you may get more than a snoot full and decide something a little more sedate will allow a longer life.

Flightsim has about as much to do with real flying as a video game has to do with real life, the two don't have very much in common, and learning the monkey motions doesn't make you an aviator.

If there is any excitement going on in my aircraft, somebody or something has screwed up. Think of it as a sense of quiet professional accomplishment, much like designing a better component for an aircraft.

Last edited by jungle; 10-30-2008 at 04:59 PM.