Old 10-10-2005, 03:35 PM
corl737
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: sitting at computer keyboard

Originally Posted by waflyboy
Does anybody know why the Wright Amendment was passed in 79? It doesn't seem to have any reasonable applicability to today's marketplace.
Here's a brief history lesson. I recommend visiting the sites listed below for the rest of the story. Do keep in mind that the sponsors of these sites have specific agendas regarding the repeal/continuance of the Wright Amendment so read them accordingly.

In 1968, prior to the opening of the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, an agreement was made requring any airlines operating at Dallas Love Field, Fort Worth Meacham, Greater Southwest Regional, and Dallas Redbird to move to DFW upon its opening.

When DFW opened in 1973, all the airlines in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex moved ... except Southwest Airlines which hadn't started operating until 1971 and was not a signatory party to the agreement.

DFW, Dallas, and Fort Worth sued to have Love Field closed to passenger airlines. However, the Texas Supreme Court decreed that it was impermissable to close Dallas Love Field because the Texas Aeronautical Commission certified carrier, Southwest Airlines, had been given specific permission to operate intra-state flights from that airport.

Though bitter about their inability to close Love, the situation remained intact until Federal Airline Deregulation in 1978. No longer limited to intra-state operations, Southwest began serving New Orleans from Dallas Love Field. Seeing the potential for increased competition, and having had their repeated court cases tossed (including those taken to the US Supreme Court) the DFW parties went to then Speaker of the House and Fort Worth congressman, Jim Wright.

Wright's original proposal was to issue a federal mandate to close Love Field to commercial passenger traffic thereby sidestepping the Court's rulings. (Today this would be called a "nuclear option!") However, such a drastic action did not have enough support to pass in Congress. A compromise was worked out that restricted commercial service from Dallas Love Field to Texas and the neighboring 4 states (NM, OK, AR, and LA.) Several other restrictions were included in the Amendment including through ticketing, marketing, and small-aircraft (<56 seats) permissibility.

With the passage of the Wright Amendment, D/FW was now protected from any meaningful competition that might prevent its developing into a self-sustaining and viable entity. (It may have had a purpose at that time though the true effect of the ruling is debatable in theoretical circles.)

Now, in 2005, DFW is listed as one of the top 5 airports in the world in virtually every category (total movements, total passengers, etc.). It would seem to the reasonable person that the Amendment has served its purpose and is no longer needed.

American Airlines' fares from DFW average 40% more (on a per mile basis) than what they charge from their other hubs. Thus, understandably, you can see the incentive for DFW and AA to do whatever they can to keep the Wright Amendment in place.

Southwest could move to DFW and begin offering long-haul flights. However, the cost of doing so would be excessive and negate the economies that could be realized by utilizing existing facilities at Love Field.

Here are the competing sides' websites:

Set Love Free!: www.setlovefree.com
Dallas/Fort Worth Airport: www.keepdfwstrong.com
A citizen's site: www.fightwright.org (Check out the NPR audio comentary link!)

-- Corl
(Disclaimer: I'm a SWA employee and so read my writings with that in mind. I try to be balanced and level but occasionally I may lean!)