View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by ryan1234 View Post
The summer internships were enough to see what day to day life was. My uncle also works as an engineer for a company that handles a lot government military projects and he can't wait to get out of it either.

There is complex math in normal AE work. Granted most math is given and the formulas are almost always the same whatever project it is. A lot of it (from my short experience in the work side) would be just your understanding of physics, chemistry, fluids, thermo, etc applied to whatever you are doing.

I'm just saying that compared to flying, engineering is boring in my opinion.. the only reason I did the degree was to get better handle how an airplane flies.... most of which you can read in a few good books (some books are just wrong in descriptions)...whatever...just rather be flying.
What you are talking about would be positions responsible for advanced design and analysis. Most engineers make CAD models if not doing something even simpler. Companies hire us because we are smart and easily trained not because they need anything very brilliant from us. I haven't owned a programmable calculator or worked any tedious hand calculations since I left engineering school. The job is mostly bureaucratic grunt work. I think we agree on that part.