View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Jayhawk 023
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: CRJ

I was just cruising around and saw this thread. To be honest, I don't have a dog in this fight, and the opinions of someone on a chat board probably won't sway you much anyway...but I'll give you my thoughts on your question and situation.

I fly for a 121 carrier now, but I didn't start out with (civilian) flying as my goal when I started college years ago. My advice (and that's all it is...) is to just go to a good university, have a real college experience and get a real degree in something non-aviation, but something that still is of interest to you. Don't go too far in debt, but get an education that will allow you to be a REAL professional someday in the outside world. In otherwords, choose an undergraduate degree that will allow you to go on later, if you should choose, and become a CPA, or an attorney, or a physician, or any number of other things that, quite frankly, many guys I fly with now are wishing they would have done.

And....while you are getting your degree, go to a FBO or a local school and get your commercial, multi, and CFI (I). Then, when you get out of school you are in a position where you can easily and quickly move into a flying gig. I would strongly advise you to not choose an aviation program at a university that puts you $50K-$80K-or more in debt just so you can get a job that will pay you $20-$30K for the first 5 years or more. Trust me, flying is fun and great and all, but its not worth 30 years of school debt hanging over your head.

oh, and btw, in the airlines, no-one cares if your degree was aviation-related...unless it was aerospace engineering.

Sorry for the preachy opinion....Best of luck in your decision