View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:03 AM
laserman2431
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Default Effect of longevity at DCI's

I think this is a very difficult topic to grapple with. The last thing anybody should do is blame the higher seniority end of the pilot group for the difficulties experienced by the entire group. The old timers should be honored for having helped to build the company and for mentoring and guiding the many newer pilot who join the ranks. Even managements want to shy away from discussing the effect of having more pilots at the higher end of the pay scales.

It really makes me sad when I read here comments from a junior pilot complaining that he/she is getting furloughed or can't upgrade because the senior pilots won't leave. Where are they supposed to go?

I don't know if there is any scientific data available but there does seem to be a correlation between growth at DCI airlines and juniority of the pilot group. I think it would be interesting if someone could really analyze the data to see if there is a relationship. It might make an interesting research project for someone in an aviation management college program or maybe an analyst at Herndon could study this. If it is an influencing factor, I think it should be out in the open.

I also wonder if ALPA has any way of getting information from Bornhorst about how the decisions are being made?

More questions than answers I guess.