View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 06:28 PM
freezingflyboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by ChrisH
It is not even nearly as bad as some of you like to make it out to be, and most people are not making that kind of money coming out of college. The average salary in the U.S. today is $39K per year. I fail to see how the average starting salary out of college is $50K. Some degrees, maybe, but not most.

And, by the way, why does it matter if someone else makes more than you, regardless of what they do? Are pilots supposed to make more than everybody else?
Right, I'm sure you have vast life experience to draw on to make these generalizations

When you think about pilot pay, think about this: There is no other profession where so many lives and such responsibility rests on the shoulders of so few. How many lives is a doctor responsible for on any given day? 5? 10? 20? I don't know. But lets say you fly 5 legs a day in your little 50 seater. I can gurantee you that there is no doctor out there who deals with 250 patients a day. When you loose that engine in your CRJ at V1 with a full boat coming out of Aspen, youll realize that you're worth a hell of a lot more than that $20/hr. In the aviation business you will have days where you are way OVER paid and then you will have days where you are way UNDER paid. Hopefully you have more days where you are over paid then under paid.