View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 11:03 PM
SKMD4ever
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: Thrust Manager Extraordinaire

Not too bad, but a couple of checkride experiences to talk about:

Instrument checkride, it happened to be one of those days when there was quite a bit of traffic and the airport was down to single-runway ops (relatively busy Class C airport.) As I'm holding short of the runway at an intersection in line for t/o, I try to make small talk with the examiner and when there's no response I turn to him and notice he is sound asleep. We had only been there for 5 mins!! Then an MD-80s and the loudest Learjet ever took off right in front of us, and the gentleman starts snoring (not too loud, but enough to hear over the headsets.) Anyways, we were cleared for takeoff and I wasn't sure if I should wake him up or not. He finally woke up about 1/3 down the runway....didn't say anything and I played it off like I had not noticed. Nothing unusual after that except when having me do steep turns while on the outbound leg of a hold.

For the commercial ride, the examiner was coming from out of town and said he would be about 30 mins. late due to being stuck in traffic. That turned into more like and hour and a half late, and since we had two airplanes to go on and a set timeframe (172 for maneuvers and PA-28 for landings and complex stuff) I ended up doing most of the oral portion in the airplane....while trying to do maneuvers, listen to ATC, etc. etc......I had never heard of that at the time and asked my instructor after I passed if that was even legal (joking about it, of course.) He said that examiner had done similar checkrides before, so I guess he wanted to see how your multi-tasking skills were.