Old 11-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Trip7
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by weirdbiz View Post
No, that's not really true. It's not difficult for someone with a college degree to find a job that pays 50-60k after a few years, which is what an under-25 regional captain would make. Most who enter the corporate world with a degree will start around 40-50k and get a raise at the end of year 1.
Completely disagree. There are a couple fields like Engineering or Accounting that MIGHT start around 40-50k but besides that 40-50k is not the norm for someone fresh out of college with a bachelor's. Maybe with a Master's degree. Most jobs start around 30k.

Additionally, by the time those folks make 40-50k they are in position where they are working alot more than 40hrs a week. Probably some type of management position. Captains make that much or more with double the time off. Most people get into this career for the days off. Most careers don't allow you to swap around your schedule and create a mini vacation every month.

Sure McDonald's workers make as much or more, but they're actually working. Overtime too. I was basically paid $23,000 this past year for playing video games and touring ATL. If I had actually worked I would have cleared 30k easily. The difference between reserve and lineholder at the airlines is a pretty significant pay increase within itself. And why not count per diem as income? Who spends $500 plus a month on food during overnights?

Sure Doctors and Lawyers make more, but while they are sweating thru exams and homework in school I'm on the beach in Punta Cana with a cold one relaxing after my first class flight.