Old 11-08-2008, 10:55 AM
DC2495
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: 135, REALLY SMALL!

Originally Posted by Pilotpip View Post
I tipped them a buck if they got my bags. If they didn't, no tip. If it was a trip to grab a six pack, or maybe to a restaurant out of the way that they weren't supposed to take us to, usually more like five dollars becuase that was still way cheaper than getting a cab and I appreciated them doing that stuff for us.

You figure that in most metro areas they're probably making around $10 an hour. If they have a hotel that a lot of crews stay at they're probalby putting another $30 or more in their pocket every day they work. Not bad.

Not a bad deal. Working at the FBO (again) taking a crew over to the hotel usually buys me lunch. Some captains have asked why I'm so damn insistient on tipping (I've been known to break a $20, then wait in the lobby for the driver to return) it's probably becuase I've been on both sides of the equation.
I once drove the courtsey van for the Double Tree Riverside in Boise. It was a lot of fun talking with all the crew. I defintley bent the rules and took them wherever they needed to go, I learned all about that 8 hours thing (usually about how close they were). It was great exposure the profession, especially when a Captain and FO got their very attractive blond flight attendant to bear all in the back seat, that was tip enough!