View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 09:02 AM
ChrisH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by freezingflyboy
Allright ChrisH, why don't you get your calculator out.
You are a newhire FO at Company A. Life is great, you are having a blast flying your shiny RJ and making $22/hr an hour. You don't care about the pay, you are single and love Ramen. Plus you get to tell girls at the bar that you are an airline pilot. Lets take a look at your pay progression. I am assuming average industry pay for 50 seaters (I averaged CHQ, AWAC, TSA, ASA, XJT, and MESA) and average upgrade times.
Year 1 - $22,000/yr
Year 2 - $31,000/yr
Year 3 - $33,000/yr
You are about to upgrade to captain, you got married a year ago and now your wife is expecting your first child but then the economy goes in the sh!tter and you are furloughed. You weren't with the company long enough to be fully vested in your 401k so you can kiss those company contributions goodbye. Now youre also out on your ear for a year looking for a new job (during which time you no longer have any health benefits). Hope the wife has a good job. After a year of pounding the pavement, luck smiles on you and you get picked up at another regional (remember, the majors won't touch you because you still don't have any 121 turbine PIC time and there were a ton of other guys more qualified than you that got furloughed too). Now youre at Company B.
Year 1 - $20,000/yr
Year 2 - $28,000/yr
Year 3 - $31,000/yr
Year 4 - $60,000/yr (after your upgrade)
Again, you are about to upgrade at year 3 with Company B. You have now been in the industry for 7 years before you upgrade (albeit one of those years you were furloughed earning $0/yr from the airline industry). But lets look at that average airline pay over that period. I come up with $23,571 AVERAGE over that 7 year period. Now do you get it? What you PLAN and what actually happens to you in this industry seldom bear any resemblance. It's always nice to expect the best but you should always be prepared for the worst. Optimism is great but just be sure to put some sunscreen on that cornhole or you might get burned from all the sunshine.
I see where you are coming from, and again, I understand things are not all peachey in the airline industry. But as flynavyj pointed out, things aren't all peachey in other industries either. I don't know many people making much over $30K to $40K out of college, and many of these people work 50 to 60 hour per weeks, not getting paid for any of that "over-time", since for the most part, people are salaried and not paid by the hour. I also know numerous people who have been laid off or had to take cuts in benefits, including pay. I once mentioned the problems the airlines are having to a co-worker, who is retired from an Exxon-Mobile plant. He said that is going on even at the Exxon plant, where he retired from, meanwhile the gas and oil companies are making record profits.

While I do realize the risk of furlough, I also realize I could spend an entire career and not get furloughed; it does happen. I don't want to not become a pilot, and many years from now look back and regret it, wondering what could have been. Could I be a Captain at FedEx right now? But, if I give it a shot, and hate it, or it doesn't work out, at least I am getting a back-up degree, and can choose to get out. It is easier to get out, than try to get in at a later age.

I think right now we have something to look forward to. United, American, SouthWest, and Continental all have made 2Q profits. The first for United in 6 years, just 5 months after getting out of bankruptcy. Prior to 9/11, I never saw complaints like I see now. It is frustrating, but things are beginning to look up. Some majors are beginning recalls, and others are announcing plans to begin them. Sometimes it helps to look at the positive signs, and not just focus on all of the negative.