Thread: Phone for ADPL?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Mason32
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Reclined

I had an old Palm OS PDA that I ran APDL on for a year or so, it worked very well; but it didn't integrate easily with the Windows PC at home. Some things were easy to copy over, others (most) were not.

I upgraded two years ago to a palm 700wx running windows mobile 5. I've been very happy with the phone and the integration with MS Outlook is just great. Just a few months ago APDL added a feature which the Palm version always had.... copying your schedule to the PDA calender. The Windows mobile version now does this too, and what's better is when you copy your schedule into APDL it copies it to your PDA calendar like the Palm versions did, but when you sync to your home PC it copies it right into MS outlook calender... The Palm OS versions didn't integrate your schedules to the calender easily, if at all.

If you're using a Windows PC at home, I'd go with the Windows mobile version of APDL. It works great. Once you have t set up it will watch your 30/7, required rest, and even does your CONUS/OCONUS if you enter in the values for each airport. It has an expense tracker as well. It will even keep a running tab of what your pay should be.

Much better than the old little red books.

If you have the PC version of LogbookPro you can even blast all your times into your logbook. It is by far the easiest way I've found to keep track of everything with very little effort, with the added plus of keeping an accurate logbook in case you ever need to change jobs.

The screen on the Palm 700wx could be a little bigger, but it works fine.
As of yet, the tech folks have no plans for a version that will run on an Iphone or an Instinct, so your pretty much stuck with either the Palm OS or the Windows mobile...

If it helps, all I do now, is copy and import my schedules from the airline's system. Then at the end of each flight, or the end of each day, I add in the actual out/in times.... done. It is also great beacuse you have notes sections for each airport which is handy for jetbridge codes, ops or hotel phone numbers, whatever. It has spots for crew names also. Once every few weeks or so, I sync the APDL with logbookpro on the home PC.... done.

Last edited by Mason32; 11-09-2008 at 12:13 PM.