Old 11-10-2008, 06:10 PM
seafeye
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Hot tub for now

Originally Posted by Trip7 View Post
That would be extremely misleading unless you put "Your 1st year pilots make 19k/year"

And even that would be misleading because you only really make that little if you're sitting reserve all of your first year with little flying.

All my friends know how much I make and still they're like "That's good money for not doing anything!"
Management takes the cake for misleading the public. They downright lie to them about what we make. Yes i do make $70/hour. Sort of. What is more accurate is that i make $50k as a captain. As an F/O i barely passed the $30k mark. Remember the comair strike? Comair management put out a newpaper ad that said our new hire pilots can make $55k/year.
They got that from a new hire going through training then after IOE they upgrade. And then they are making the $55k. Now have you ever heard that happen? Most airlines post first year Captain rates, but they don't really happen. Just like you thinking that you make $70k/hour that you will make $70k for your 1000hrs work. What do you think is the percentage of people that actually make it too 1000hrs? We might have 3 people out of 500 at my job.
So i couldn't care less if we lied to the travelling public, management has been doing it for years and now it's our turn. If that is what it takes to get a decent pay for our job then so be it.