Thread: Mesa TA
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Airfix
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by SmoothOnTop View Post
Push for a 1 hour sign-in.

AE had (has) a 45 minute or 1 hour sign-in.

A 1 hour sign-in is good for everybody, flight-cabin crews, scheduling and your passengers...

I would agree to this if it was counted as duty time.

The thing with the 24 hour to 2 hour sign in is it doesn't buy the company anything but it forces me to do something for Mesa on my own time. Let's say I'm commuting the day of my trip but I chose to electronically sign in the day prior because of the 5am early morning commute. Now the company is expecting me.

However if I don't make it on my commuter flights then I'll have to call the company back to tell them now that I won't make it. This call would happen at exactly the same time as it would without this electronic check in so the company is getting nothing extra by forcing me to sign in early.

I argue that we are all professionals and that we should be trusted to give the company as much notice as possible when we cannot make it to work, just like in any other industry. If pilots can't be responsible enough to do that then perhaps they are not the type of people you want working in your company.