View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 AM
TonyWilliams
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Self employed

If you get the jacket, I'd recommend trying to get it without the "extras". For instance, Southwest uses the same Perrone leather jacket, but it probably won't be cool to show up with one that has your regional airlines logo stitched on the inside. Also, at least for SkyWest, the snap-on buttons all have a Brasilia with "SkyWest" stamped onto the button. It might be possible to get the jacket with plane jane buttons.

And finally, the gortex liner I found unnecessary. And that's after doing walk-arounds in blizzards in Edmonton and North Dakota. I put a black leather glove in each pocket (I bought the Perrone ones, but you can get 'em cheaper). Also, I always brought along a black v-neck sweater (bought mine on the Navy base).

I never felt cold with this combo. Hats help (any hat), and keep those feet dry (Rockport makes a black gortex shoe).

Some have commented how cool it looks, and I think it does too. I wear it occasionally on my black motorcycle, and it was good for overnights. But, if you're doing a trip that does an overnight in the warm south, and one in northern Canada, you're going to want to pack the jacket, and that's it's single biggest weakness. It's VERY bulky, where the blazer is not.