View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 05:42 PM
HSLD
APC co-founder

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B777

Originally Posted by SkyHigh
I haven't changed my personal approach to life, but if I were to give advise to a new pilot I would not leave out my observations and I wouldn't hold it against anyone who tried it either. Even those who were caught lived to lie another day. I believe its just a fact of life.
I completely disagree.

While I know that there dishonest people entering aviation, they ARE found out and they ARE fired. In my 16 years at a major airline, the only profile that I've seen fired are those who lie, cheat, and steal. They are exposed and they are shown the door. I rather enjoy seeing a guy or gal without any professional ethics get tossed, and I have no compassion for them after they've wasted a good portion of their lives trying to shortcut the system only to be exposed. The great thing about someone getting hired before they are exposed is that when they are fired, the training record is part of the public record so they can't deny ever being at a carrier that fired them. Well, I shouldn't say that because of course they'll lie about it, but again they will be exposed.

I've seen people fired for falsifying logbooks or other credentials, stealing, and lying (on the job). Now there is push to purge every employee that is convicted of a felony: past, present, and future. I welcome this as I've worked hard to get where I am by playing by the rules, and frankly don't want some scumbag flying my family and friends around in a jet.

My opinion is that anyone who knowingly stands by and allows this behavior, is just as guilty if they don't attempt to intervene.

Aviation is a small world, with very few secrets.