View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 05:52 PM
embraer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Default Mesaba Reserve and commuting

Hi guys. I have a question regarding Mesaba. I am thinking strongly about applying at Mesaba,for various reasons, sometime in mid 2009.

I have a few questions for those of you already there. First, how long typically are pilots sitting on reserve? I know it probably depends on base but what would you say is an average?

While on reserve, how realistic is it to commute? I currently live in DFW and plan on staying here at least for another few years so I would be needing to commute to either MEM, DTW, or MSP. MEM would probably be my best bet given the shorter distance between DFW. Regardless of which base I am awarded how does commuting work while on reserve?

One more thing I was curious about is regarding the payscale I see here on APC. If a pilot is hired on as an FO on the -900, for example, then upgrades to Captain on the SAAB; how long usually is it before he/she can upgrade to Captain on the RJ?

Thanks for helping me out. As you all know deciding on which airline to commit your future to is a very important, not to mention stressful decision so I am trying to gather as much information as possible. So far Mesaba seems to be the leading canidate from all that I have seen and heard. Republic being another possible airline I may look at. Thanks again!