View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 03:19 PM
LAfrequentflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Originally Posted by CRJ-200
Hello everybody,

I've been browsing these forums for quite some time (I just decided to start posting) and I thought I'd ask the professionals around here their opinions. I am 15 years old and I've just started taking flying lessons. Since I'm not old enough yet to even solo I am waiting until next summer - when I'm 16 - to take lessons full time toward my private pilot's license. In the mean time I've taken the occasional hour-long lessons to sort of "ease my craving."

My orginal plan was to earn my PPL at my local flight school - Central Flying Service (http://www.central.aero/) - then attend an Airline Academy like Delta Connection Academy or FlightSafety Academy. But from what I've read around here these academies aren't too popular and now I'm thinking I might stay at CFS. They too have an airline program - not an academy fast-track, they just help point you in the right direction. I can earn all my ratings at Central and have the opportunity to get a bachelors degree in aviation science at the same time. CFS is a really great place - the largest FBO in the U.S. - with great people, a great fleet of airplanes, and a great reputation. It's just great.

From there I can go in several directions. I could become a CFI and build hours teaching other people how to fly (something I think I'd love to do), fly King Air's or Gulfstream's on chartered flights at Central, or attend a school like Gulfstream Training Academy. It seems like a really unique school (and I think it'd be a lot of fun flying a Beech 1900D around the Bahamas).

Here are my questions for all the airline pilots on the forums who have been here and done this: do you think I'm going in the right direction? What would you recommend I do after getting certified? Thanks!

By the way - I'm not necessarily interested in getting to a 'legacy' carrier as fast as I can. In fact, I would be more than happy at a good regional airline. My ultimate goal is to fly for a 'national' carrier like Southwest or JetBlue. I'm not sure I would want to fly for a major with low seniority at the state most of them are in. Getting furloughed my first week on the job doesn't sound so great...

Everybody feel free to throw your two cents in.
Go talk to your local AF recruiter and ask about the Air Force Academy. Good luck in your decision.

Also, you'll have no problem finding people to endorse ATPs.

-LAFF