Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Everyone Complains about their jobs

This just blows me away:

According to Forbes:

Labor cost per hour, wages and benefits for hourly workers, 2006.

Ford: $70.51 ($141,020 per year)

GM: $73.26 ($146,520 per year)

Chrysler: $75.86 ($151,720 per year)

Toyota, Honda, Nissan (in U.S.): $48.00 ($96,000 per year

These are supposed to be average wages for autoworkers who come to the job with only a high school diploma. I am sure that these same guys think that they should strike for more pay while their company is going under.

Everyone complains about their job because they usually do not step back and take an honest look at what others are making. Pilots usually think that they are making a fortune at 50K however if they were to add up everything that it took to get their it falls very short.

I am sure that doctors complain too however even the most worse off doctor in my home town lives better than just about anyone else. The local ER docs only work 12-12 hour shifts a month and live like kings. The crime is that as pilots we sacrifice nearly as much in training costs and wasted years of experience building only to earn far less and face a career of furloughs and layoffs. Even a bad doctor can get a good paying job at an insurance company declining medical claims. Pilots are worth nothing outside of their seniority number.

Skyhigh