View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 06:45 PM
erj145aviator
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2006

I'm not so sure about the Air Force... I did their ROTC program, and they basically toss you a piece of paper and tell you to write down the top three things you want to do... and they don’t even guarantee that(Needless to say I left while I still could)... You might get stuck pushing papers, rather than flying... big risk with the Air Force. I was in the same spot you are... I soloed at 16, got my license at 17, now I’m just about done with ATP. I would get your PPL from a local FBO that has a good rep. simply because it's the most important rating, and you just wont be able to get as much detailed training anywhere else... After you get that, I would do ATP’s career pilot program, and instruct afterwards. Trust me that’s pretty much the only way, I would be the last person to want to instruct, but there really isn’t any other choice that will get you the same amount of quality time. Some people here made it quite obvious that PFT is NOT the route to take. I would also look into Civil Air Patrol(www.cap.gov)... You get free flights through them, and they have encampments you can go to, that will get you to a point where you can solo. Also if there is a senior member there with a flight instructor rating you can get free instruction, and rent out their planes for a really cheap rate. Helped me out a lot when I was your age... best of luck.

Last edited by erj145aviator; 07-30-2006 at 06:49 PM.