View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 08:10 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by KC10 FATboy View Post
Taken from "Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot"

Ice is found in visible moisture between +5 and -20 degrees C or colder -- but usually between +2 and -10 degrees C.

Any mention of icing conditions during a weather briefing, even if only a "slight possibility" is considered "Known icing" by the FAA and the NTSB. The briefer should check AIRMETs -- issued at the first indication of moderate ice; and SIGMETs -- issued for severe icing. Flight into known icing is definitely forbidden unless the aircraft is certificated for these conditions.

You might want to mention to the briefer that you plan to remain below the freezing level and/or clear of clouds. This might allow them to remove the "known icing conditions" from your brief, which would allow you to takeoff. However, if you encountered ice and caused some sort of problem, you're probably going to hear from the FAA.

References; Part 23, 25, 91.9, 91.13, 91.527, 121.341, 121.629, 125.221, 135.227, 135.345, AIM 7-1-19, 7-1-22, 7-1-23, Advisory Circulars 20-73, 23.1419-1, 135-9, AFM or POH

-Fatty
Now I'm confused
It sounds like you're (or the book really) is saying that you couldn't fly on a clear, cold day is the temperature fell inside the range above; or are you saying that he could not fly into clouds under those conditions (which I would understand). If in a temperature range that supports the formation of ice and visible moisture is regarded as "known icing", what constitues "forecasted icing"? The temperature is expected to fall to something within the range and clouds are expected to form?
Good questions sellener. I look forward to hearing the information provided by our smart group here on the forum.

USMCFLYR