Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 AM
jdt30
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by BoeingTanker View Post
I noticed that as well.

My experience is all 4 engines over water so I can hardly spell ETOPS. What is involved in starting ETOPS flights? Is it just training/operations policy stuff and maintenance levels on the jets or are there actual mods to the jets??

If there is something that is done to the jets, how extensive (and expensive) is it. Since there are no aircraft listed as included in the purchase, that would be more mods to the jets if they were going to take advantage of the certification. Or I guess they could go shopping with some of that cash on hand.

Personally I think the value of the slots is what they are buying, the ETOPS portion is just a little icing on the cake. But it's nice to think about while I'm swimming.
I'm not sure how many jets SWA will be receiving from ATA, but I would bet that it's not enough to make it worthwhile to train every pilot on ETOPS procedures. Although they could do what CAL has done on the 73, just hand you a magic marker and show you how to draw circles on a plotting chart.