Old 11-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Planespotta
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Dream within a dream

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
Their will still be people sitting in the front of airliners in the future. I am not arguing that. My point is that through automation their roll has been and will continue to be reduced to the point where they are just sitting there and watching the show while ground inputs and computers fly the plane. Most of the time that is what it is like already. Plenty of people will be satisfied with that since they do not know any better.

Modern pilots love technology and thrill at watching it do a better job at flying the plane than they could. However as a result airlines will not need to pay for experience anymore since the computer is what makes for a sucessful fight. The people up front will still be referred to as pilots but are really coming closer to being IT technicians.

I have no problem with being reduced to a button pusher however I need to have a life and to be able to make a reasonable living as well. So long as automation continues its advances I can only see pilot losing more value and falling further into the hands of management.

SkyHigh
Yup, and surgeons are glorified butchers. Where does this denegration stop?

They've automated all they can by now. Pilots can take off and let the plane fly from 500 feet AGL through the landing at their destination. It's been this way for a few decades now, and there's not much more computers can do.