View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 11:55 AM
JDFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Default 2003 to 2005 Scenic Alumnus

I flew there from Summer 2003 to Summer 2005.

Scenic is a very good Grand Canyon operator. Their maintenance department is very good, they know the Twin Otter like the back of their hands.

It is a great company to build time at. When I was there I was able to log 600 SIC and 1200 PIC twin-turbine in 2 years. It is a little like Groundhog Day because of the sheer repetition back and forth to the same airports all the time. But nonetheless well worth the experience.

However, you must learn to fly the Twin Otter well, I mean really be able to fly it comfortably in all the different weather that the Grand Canyon gets as well as Las Vegas in Springtime. After you master the Otter there is not a turbine aircraft you could not learn to fly quite easily.

I now fly CRJ's at Skywest and very soon to fly 737's for Southwest. I have type ratings in both and neither are nearly as difficult to fly as an Otter in a good crosswind. Programming an FMS and digital flight display information is easy to learn and the only thing the Otter lacks.

If you get the opportunity to fly for Scenic you absolutely should jump at it. It will be a great experience.

Take Scenic for what it is, a fantastic place to further develop some great stick and rudder skills, aviation customer service skills, basic 121 (even though they are 135 now, they were 121 when I flew there) operational experience. Including basic experience with Op Specs, FOM, aircraft systems, etc.

My only cautionary word though is do NOT expect or think you can go directly from Scenic to a Legacy or Major air carrier, including Southwest, FedEx, or UPS even with lots and lots of Otter PIC. It simply will not happen. That has been my personal experience as well as the experience of the hundreds and hundreds of all the other Scenic Alum's you will eventually meet in your future career.

You may be able to put a check mark in a box on a future job application, but that is all you will have, nothing more. Unfortunately "checking a box" does not mean you are competitive. There are literally thousands upon thousands of regional jet captains with thousands and thousands of 121 glass cockpit/jet experience just waiting for the phone to ring for an interview at the bigger companies.

Even with lots and lots of Otter time, you will still be at the back of the line.

Good luck to all who fly for Scenic!! You will not regret flying for them. Those years were some of the most FUN aviation experiences so far in my career!!