View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 09:20 PM
multipilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by de727ups View Post
"Now lets say i am in a situation where i am bored at work one day and want to go practice some approaches by myself in the sim....I would log that only as "sim/ftd" because there is no "authorized instructor."

Ummm....could you even log that? I thought all loggable FTD time had to be with an instructor?
No and yes. FTD time requires an instructor in order to log it.

(7) Flight training device means a device that—
(i) Is a full-size replica of the instruments, equipment, panels, and controls of an aircraft, or set of aircraft, in an open flight deck area or in an enclosed cockpit, including the hardware and software for the systems installed, that is necessary to simulate the aircraft in ground and flight operations;
(ii) Need not have a force (motion) cueing or visual system; and
(iii) Has been evaluated, qualified, and approved by the Administrator.

(4) A flight simulator or approved flight training device may be used by a person to log instrument time, provided an authorized instructor is present during the simulated flight.

(h) Logging training time. (1) A person may log training time when that person receives training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device.
(2) The training time must be logged in a logbook and must:
(i) Be endorsed in a legible manner by the authorized instructor; and
(ii) Include a description of the training given, the length of the training lesson, and the authorized instructor's signature, certificate number, and certificate expiration date.