Thread: Female Pilots
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 01:37 AM
siemprerojo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Boeing 757 First Officer and Cessna 182H financier

Originally Posted by Nova2686 View Post
Since I am a 20 years old female, I feel that I must ask this question since I am interested in becoming a commercial airline pilot. It is common knowledge that the aviation industry is dominated by males.

My questions is, have that change over the years? Are there more female pilots? Is it more difficult for a female to "climb" the ranks in the commercial aviation scene?
Hey Nova 2686,
My wife has had a pretty disapointing career path. Not so much because of her gender, but just because of the crappy places she has ended up at. And because of some of those backward places, most of the pilots she flew with were pretty threatened by the fact that a female pilot could do their job just as well or even better than they can.
Her current employer is up to date with the times and the way she is treated is pretty transparent.
The moral to the story is don't just take any job. Be selective and you shouldn't see the stuff you that you see at some of the 3rd rate charter outfits.
Most of all welcome to the world of professional aviation. I know it looks bleak out there right now but so does being a stockbroker at Citibank. It will get better.
Cheers.