Thread: Female Pilots
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 09:43 AM
alwaysflying
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Flying both desk and jet

In today's environment, being a female pilot is pretty much no different than being a male. As others have stated, don't wear your emotions on your sleeve. You will encounter a few jerks, but easily to deal with. Passengers will ask you where to stowe their luggage and if you can get them a drink. I usually find this a good time to have fun. When asked for coffee, I once stated "You know its really funny, they taught how to fly the airplane, but forgot to teach me how to use the coffee machine". Usually the passenger is embarrassed and walks away. I do make sure they get their coffee though.

One thing to keep in mind, don't expect special treatment. You will be asked to perform just like your male counterparts. Some people think females are given special treatment. We are not. This was true in the late 80's, but not anymore, from what I have seen.

Overall its a good job, just be ready for a roller coaster ride. The economy rides waves and so does the airline industry. This is just another period of down, we will get through it, how it looks on the other side remains to be seen.