View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Salty Dog
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: NJA Uboat Commander

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Actually I would want to now why they AREN'T using a fractional instead of spending all that extra money on their own fully funded flight department. I understand that they need quick access and time is money and most of the fracs can have that plane to you by the time you make it to the airport to board it seems. Then if you need global services there are some that can still provide that. I guess the reason probably lies in the tax laws and other such complicate matters which I can not even begin to understand. Btw - didn't all of the big three get scolded for the same thing?

USMCFLYR
Most large companys do use fractionals also. Someone above stated 200 hrs a year as the cutoff for buying your own jet. I saw the chart showing 400 hr/yr and 500 was just barely worth buying your own. That was 4 years ago so the number might have changed. Really it doesn't matter what the exact number is. Large companys have their own flight dept and use fractionals for "supplemental lift" on a regular basis. I've been to quite a few Forture 500 hangars dropping or picking up pax for meetings. Sometimes I get the feeling their pilots don't want us there.