View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Most large companys do use fractionals also. Someone above stated 200 hrs a year as the cutoff for buying your own jet. I saw the chart showing 400 hr/yr and 500 was just barely worth buying your own. That was 4 years ago so the number might have changed. Really it doesn't matter what the exact number is. Large companys have their own flight dept and use fractionals for "supplemental lift" on a regular basis. I've been to quite a few Forture 500 hangars dropping or picking up pax for meetings. Sometimes I get the feeling their pilots don't want us there.
Thanks Salty Dog. Good explanation. When I wrote the above I forgot that I had read about the flight hour cut-off along the way. I'm just beginning to understand the fractional business, but I certainly just guessed that owning your own flight department must be enormously expensive with all of the accompanying costs. Truthfully I still can't say that I understand all the factors that figure into the flight hour cut-off when a fractional becomes more expensive than owning your own plane - but I'm learning