Thread: multi schools
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 04:39 AM
UConnQB14
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2005
Position: Glass
Default multi schools

ok, so the other day i put something up about multi time building and it got a lot of response, so i figure i start with another but related topic... someone suggested i go out and buy one of these planes cheaply and fly them with a few other people.. price gets cut considerably for the hours put in, etc. when there are others involved... so why not start a flight school for cheap.. give some the same type of time they would get at ATP, RAA, etc, but for much less.. the cheapest ive seen in Ari-Ben Aviation in Florida which gives you 100 hrs in a Dutchess for $7900...
lemme get the math right here and tell me if im wrong:

buy two used multis at $100K a piece= $200K
insurance for each of these planes=$25K a year
MEI's= by the hour at say, $15/hr (pretty good)= maybe $12K a year
fuel costs at $4 a gallon= $15K a year...

looking at that, after you buy the planes for the first time, all thats left is maintenance... so hire an IA or qualified A&P guy, open a shop.. the rest is about $70K a year right? do you mean to say that if you charged $5000 for 100 hours of multi time, you wouldnt get enough people to turn a profit at year's end???

now, im an economics major in school right now, and yes, i have the financial backing from big companies and high profile individuals in NJ to do this if i wanted to, but im trying to get in the air, not be buried with this sort of paperwork... my question is why no one ever considers this a valid option... and why is it, that ATP or RAA need to charge $80K for this process? is their name that valuable? multi is multi is multi (unless ur in a caravan)

please respond!