View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Bigflya
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Originally Posted by Superpilot92 View Post
Its not worth arguing with people like him. They obviously believe that Delta sits beautifully at the end of the rainbow and that NWA brings nothing to the table. The DC9 is the RDs chance at fixing their screwup of letting that flying go. The DC9s and the flying they bring is Mainline flying and its now Delta Mainline flying. The 100 seat market is now the Combined DAL pilots flying and its ours to lose. We are all responsible for ensuring it stays at mainline. OUR scope protects it and should continue to protect it. These planes are especially helpful when fuel is falling, the credit market is swamped making financing harder to come by, and the flexibility to redeploy these aircraft anywhere. They can and will likely take back flying from the regionals. 2 dc9s can move the same people as 2-3 50 seaters. As DAL pulls down capacity they can remove frequency without giving up seats by using the DC9s.

These planes are NOW Delta planes. The sooner the RD side realizes that they are their planes and jobs now, the sooner we can work together to protect that flying from here on out.
Delta does not sit at the end of a rainbow. And I do acknowledge that the 9's are ours and we MUST protect scope. But with 35 yr old airplanes in an RNAV world, how long do they realistically have left flying. How much $$ goes into their heavy mx cycles. You have to admit that economically speaking, the company cannot afford to replace the airframes as fast as they will retire them. I hope the 787 is onboard by then to help. From SLI testimony, as the 9's have been retired, RJ's have replaced them. Do 73's have the same staffing but 50% more seats. I realize and am a proponent of all getting along. As a line pilot, what control do we really have over SLI, contracts etc? BTW, I do have over three years flying the 9 so I have some experience with it. Let me be the first to say if you haven't heard already, "Welcome Aboard."