Old 08-02-2006, 02:30 AM
L-1011-500
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Now on the IATA Death Star

Originally Posted by Taylor
Longtime reader first time poster. Looking into what options that I have after I finish some training. I have graduated UPT and am at Altus for 135 training. I had some experience flying previous to UPT and now I have the minimums to apply to the regionals. What I am unsure about is whether to hold out in the Guard to build hours or pursue a civilian career. I would jump at a technician job or AGR. There have been some opportunities but I'm at the bottom of the totem pole to get one. My guard unit is so-so for bumming. I am in a good position financially so the first few years at the regional won't kill me (I hope). I need benefits and that is one of the biggest reasons I'm looking at the regionals. It seems like its a good job for working with the guard as well. I welcome any advice. I'm all ears. If there are any of you out there in a similar situation I'd love to hear from you.

Taylor
As Slice said go out and get on with a regional if you can. I don't mean to bring the wrath down on me from other Military guys here but 121 time is always better than mil time. Plus your seniority just keeps rolling along which is a nice added bonus. Just try if you can to stay as current as possible with the guard while you are doing your probie year. I was furloughed after 9-11 and I am extra thankful everyday that I had the guard to bail me out. But after years of 121 time I couldn't handle the needless BS the guard stuff on a daily basis. So I took a job with a freighter outfit thinking I would get a seniority number then go back on MPA tour to let my seniority build. But instead I like the balance of both. When you get a undesirable line drop it for military which pays more anyways. Just AVOID dropping last minute orders on your 121 job and most companies are going to work with you. PM me if you have any questions I have been in the Guard now for over 20 years and have some experience at making it work pretty smoothly. Good Luck