View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 AM
MalteseX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: DA-40

Originally Posted by shackone
You lost me there. What, then, would they do? Wait for a draft there never came?

Look guys...I'm not naive, nor was I born yesterday...and you are sure as he11 not the first to see conditions that weren't pretty. You folks aren't the first to consider getting out, nor will you be the last.

Have you guys ever heard of the 'Dear Boss' letter? Check it out sometime. Your generation isn't the first to have b1tches. That was my generation, written by another F-4 driver who was in my year group. Not a single one of your complaints was anything new 30 years ago.

Some people stuck it out and tried to make the system better. Some didn't.

Oh...the guy who wrote the 'Dear Boss' letter...what ever happened to him? Did he go to AA or Delta?

Nope...he's currently the ACC Commander.
This is a good post. When I was reading of what is going on in the "current" AF and how the AF has "changed", I kinda laughed ... that could have been written in 1975, 1983, 1987, 1994, etc. (except the tanker guys would have been complaining about being "jailed" for 7 days every 3 weeks on alert).
When I read that, I was thinking these guys are giving reasons NOT to get out. If conditions are deteriorating, then they, as mid level Captains, need to stay and FIX the problems by getting promoted, becoming staff officers (and changing the mediocre computer training), commanders (and correcting the emphasis on writing OPRs etc that make you "golden"); senior staff (to fight for additional flying hours for the command) and finally senior commanders (to change the culture back to a fly and fight AF).

Your example of a letter that is *****ing (Dear Boss letter) illustrates this precisely--the dude that was *****ing STAYED in an attempt to make it better. (Evidently, at least according to the captains, he must've drank the Kool Aid; because it seems things are still the same).