whatthe6789
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Apr 2008
  • Position
    CFI in training
Quote: Hi!

Whatthe6789: U R wrong on the flying of parts by the corporate aviation arm...

I fly for a company that is about 1/2 freight. When the auto companies (or anyone else) needs last-minute frieght to keep an assembly line open, they need a dedicated freight airplane, as the volume of freight can't be carried on an aircraft set up for PAX.

NONE of the auto companies (or any other assembly-line companies) have aircraft that can carry frieght, in any meaningful amount. I guess that they have figured out it's cheaper to outsource this type of work.

cliff
LUV
PS-Just flew in tons of BlackBerry Storms from YYZ via DTW.
I wasn't necessarily talking about big and heavy machinery, more like a computer part or module (a lot of assembly lines are robotic, or at least heavily automated) that wouldn't make any sense to ship when you can hold it or pack it in a bag. At the very least, the engineer could be the "part" that is needed to fix it, so just by him being there quickly saves a lot of time.

And radmanly, we all complain about how much these CEOs get paid, well, if you break that down into hourly or even smaller units, being able to work up til 1.5 hours before being in D.C. and then back to work 1.5 hours after being in D.C. Compare that to flying commercial and only being able to do one thing that day (get to the airport early enough to check-in, wait in the terminal, then testify, go back to the airport check-in again and then wait another hour for your flight, and all that assuming that wx was good all over the country so their flights wouldn't be delayed). An good example of executive use of time is that saying that Bill Gates LOSES money by bending down to pick up a $100 bill. Now, he would still stop and pick it up, but that just goes to show how if you break their salaries down, a couple of hours not working can really add up. And one other thing, can you imagine the hell that would have broken loose if they would have missed the meeting because wx delayed or cancelled their commercial flights?