View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 11:25 AM
ToiletDuck
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Default What pay cut should I take?

Ok right now I make about $60k as a CFI in Texas. As you can tell I fly an incredible amount. I usually do a minimum of 5 flights a day. I'm currently 24yrs old with my 135mins. Just hit em. As of right now I'll have my current contract still kicking for 4-6 months from now.

The owner of the FBO has a Merlin IIIB that I fly with him on the side. Right now it's in mx but we should be getting it back this up coming wednesday. I don't get paid when I fly that because I only have about 10hrs in one. Normally it's flown about 30hrs a month but like I said it's been getting a hot section on the engine done which has taken some time.

I'm hoping that when my CFI contract expires I'll be around 1500-1800hrs with a good 100hrs in the Merlin. After my contract is over I've been offered a job here flying an Air Ambulance 421 that pays $150 per day on call and $200 per flight. They are only getting about 8flights a month right now. That requires a 6 month contract. Or I could join Pennicle Airlines judging by what they've been putting up at climbto350.com. Then there's the thought of trying to go cargo.

One way or another I know I've been lucky with my current CFI job. But when it's time to move on I have no foresight. I've never flown cargo and I've never flown pax and I know nothing of Pennicle. Any ideas? Is the Ambulance my best bet? I'd stay here and fly the merlin on the side too. At what point (ME hrs and twin turboprop wise) should I make the move to an Airline or cargo outfit? Would it just be retarded for me to pay for a type rating in a jet and go apply at airlines? I'm young and don't want to make the wrong mistake. I want to find my nice little place to spend the rest of my life. I've never quit a job in my life and once I get on with a company I'll most likely stay there. Any info would be great.
Thanks!
Duck

PS I have a 4yr degree