View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 04:45 AM
jsled
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 737 CA

Originally Posted by buzzpat View Post
"What a bunch of CRAP. The current administration, just like Reagan, has spent more money and ran up more national debt than any so called tax and spend liberal democrat since WW2. Just the facts, ma'am. On whose watch did this market collapse happen?"

Nice try. But the graph you linked to is not controlled for the inflation of the dollar since WWII. Control it for the decreased value of the dollar in those 63 years and your graph turns upside down.

Secondly, you point toward the spending of Reagan. Are you aware who controlled the Congress during those 8 years? Dems.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of Pres Bush's domestic policies. What I am really tired of, however, is the constant vilifying of a president who inherited 9/11, the impending collapse of our industry, and who has prevented another attack on our nation and our way of life. As a retired Air Force officer, I have served all sorts of presidents. As an American citizen, Obama is now my president. I wonder how quickly you'll jump to criticize him if/when things go south with his administration and a Democratically-controlled House and Senate.

I suspect you won't be quite so eager to ignore "the facts."
The graph does not "turn upside down" when adjusted for inflation. The fact is that during this and Reagan's administration, deficit spending soared. Kind of like living large on a credit card. Remember, nothing becomes law without the POTUS signature (with the exception of a veto override). So this notion that it is congress' fault is a stretch. It is comical that you try to blame the congress of the last 2 years for this mess. I am really surprised you are not using the old...it's Clinton's fault. The truth is, if you look back to the bank deregulation bill of 1999, passed by a republican congress (Phil Gramm was the chief sponsor), and yes....signed by Clinton, you will find the culprit. Allowing wall street to police themselves and eliminating Great Depression era regulations was not a good idea. But hey, it was a good ride for 8 years. Now the bill is coming due.